Pinterest is fast gaining momentum as a serious contender on the social network sphere. Already it drives more referral traffic than LinkedIn, YouTube and Google Plus – combined - rivaling Twitter- and has 10.4m registered users.
So it’s time to move to Pinterest 2.0 and introduce more features based on the rapidly expanding customer base.
My top 12 enhancements I’d like to see are:
- Allow selected Pinterest Boards to be private. There are just some things you’d like to pin that maybe you don’t want to share with the whole world. Or maybe you are a brand who is developing a Pinterest Board that you want to keep hidden until a later date or a campaign launch.
- Gimme Stats. Tell me which of my pins are the most Repinned, the most Liked, the most Commented. Also telling me the click through rates from pins to the source website would be awesome.
- Follower Numbers. At present Pinterest shows you how many followers you have on your profile. But if you are like me, you may have a whole range of Pinterest Boards and not all of these are as fascinating to everyone as they are to me. So followers pick and choose which Boards they follow – and these people are not reflected in your profile follower stats. I’ve found the follower numbers for individual Boards are much higher than my profile follower numbers. Please Pinterest, show me how many people are following each Board in one place?
- Allow Any Contributors to Boards. Currently individual Boards can be set up to allow named, multiple contributors, however being able to setup a Board that any Pinterest member can contribute to would be very useful, especially for brands.
- Suggest Who To Follow Like many other social networks, suggestions of who to follow on Pinterest based on my pins and repins would be useful. Finding these people at the moment can be challenging
- Finding people from other social networks. Currently your Facebook Friends can be identified reasonably easily, but allowing me to find my friends from Twitter, or my email address list or other sources would boost sharing and connecting. The search function in Pinterest is not the best – even if you know someone exists!
- Allow Pins/Repins to multiple Boards. Sometimes a pin will be of interest to followers of different Boards (since many followers just follow individual Boards) but at present you can only post to one Board at a time.
- Filter out Repins. Just like Twitter does with RTs. Please.
- Notify me if I have already pinned an image. Pins often circulate round again after a few weeks, but if I have already pinned an image then Pinterest should warn me before I repin it again.
- An iPad app. You know you need one. Something like Flipboard would be awesome.
- Let me mark Boards I am following as Favourites. Once you start following a lot of people or Boards, it would be great to have a way to list or favourite the Pinners you love.
- Filter out specific words or types of pins. There are only so many Infographics a girl can take. And once you are over all the Valentines day or Christmas themed pins then lets just hide them away somewhere else.
These are just a few of the things I’ve noticed that i think would improve Pinterest. if you have others, share them in the comments below.
You can check out my Boards on Pinterest here: