LinkedIn is slowly changing it’s game. After spending years as an online Rolodex, a job posting site, then a stalking recruiter’s dream, it is now turning its mind to brands and publishing. With over 850K Kiwis using LinkedIn (and 200m worldwide) there are a lot of eyeballs out there to capitalise on.
For ages on Linkedin all you would ever see was people ‘connecting’, profiles being updated and recruiters trawling through it all. Now there are more publishing and sharing features – finally you can tag someone else in a post. Whooo!
However, there are still many things that I’d like to see on LinkedIn. To support brands publishing content and to increasing the activity of the LinkedIn members there need to be better paid advertising options, better transparency of publishing algorithms, more customisation and also tweaks to the current Newsfeed. And for brands to get value out of advertising, there needs to be more activity and engagement – not just accepting connection requests and changing your profile.
Here are 9 changes I’d like to see:
1. Permalinks please. So annoying if I want to email someone a link to a status update – or share it anywhere outside of LinkedIn. You just can’t do this. Super super annoying.
2. Allow brands to tag other brands or people in their status updates (as personal profiles can). It’s another way to drive interactions and to get your posts seen, so it is a no brainer.
3. Apply the filters on your Newsfeed to the iPad and iPhone apps as well. If I have hidden someone on LinkedIn desktop, this isn’t consistent across the apps. So then I stop using the apps.
4. Clean up all the notifications in the Newsfeed – it is very spammy. Most people won’t know that every time they add a skill to their profile or follow a brand that this is reported in the Newsfeed by default, and most other people don’t find this very interesting. Just give us the good stuff please!
5. The option to Unfollow a post or suppress notifications for a specific post would also be useful. I’m not interested in someone commenting on a post I commented on 2 months ago. Not interested at all.
6. Allow blocking someone on LinkedIn – currently the only option is to shut down access to your profile for everyone you are not connected to which is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. LinkedIn seems to be the only big social network which does not support blocking.
7. Let me see the history of all my posts! If I look at my profile I can only see the last few status updates. Why LinkedIn, why?
8. Let me edit my posts after posting. Sometimes typos escape into the wild despite my best intentions.
9. Let brands use the mobile apps to publish – being forced to use the desktop version reduces publishing options.
These are just a few tweaks I’d like to see, and if you have other ideas for improvements I’d love to hear them.